Thursday, January 23, 2014

Living In The Polar Vortex Moment

 

I haven’t blogged in a few weeks – it was my original intention to do it every week, but oh, well, things don’t always go as planned! Plan B!

I have been busy trying to stay warm in this impossibly cold weather. I can’t count the days that have been way below zero at night and then never even go above zero during the daytime. It was during all this that first our furnace went out and then our washing machine. And it happens while my husband is traveling for the bank – first Detroit one week, then Denver the following week and then Detroit again for another week. That left me to deal with the repairmen – and Noodles, my Pug. He enjoys hanging out with the repairmen. He helps. Okay, gets in their way!

Hi, Noodles!!


I have also been taking 4 exercise classes a week – Zumba toning on Tuesday night, Barre Burn on Friday night, regular Zumba on Saturday morning and Barre Burn again on Sunday afternoon. And I still try to do the elliptical (Le Elliptical!) every day for 30 to 40 minutes. When nice weather comes back, I can add walking and riding my bike to the mix – but in the meantime, I really have to focus on my classes to keep in shape.

We had our book club this month – the little group that my pal, Heidi and I started last spring – Chick Lit and Cocktails. I am actually now in 3 book clubs but this one came about because one of my book clubs tends to go very serious and the other one is in Des Moines so I can’t always drive down there with my schedule. I wanted this book club to be closer (obviously!) and also more fun, light and fluffy books. We met at Crave at the Mall of America but due to the weather only half of us made it but it was still fun. We will try again in March!

One other exciting thing happened in January and that is that my favorite football team, the Seattle Seahawks, are going to the Super Bowl! That is actually super exciting. I just saw them play a few weeks ago on Dec. 29th when I was in Seattle and I had a good feeling then. I have ordered my Russell Wilson #3 football jersey so I have appropriate attire for the game on February 2nd!

The dogs and I took a little road trip to Iowa this week on MLK Day. It is just nice to get away and stay in a hotel and have wine and answer to no one. Of course, the weather down there was no better. I fantasize about getting in my yellow Eclipse, Daisy, with my 2 dogs and driving across the country to California. I am serious!

So anyhow it has been extremely cold and snowy but it is January in the upper Midwest and I still try to appreciate it for what it is. Like these super cute snowmen in my neighborhood.

Someone is creative!



And watching my bulb garden(s) grow and eventually bloom. I have 2 – one for home and one for my office.

Someday We Will Bloom!


 Spring will eventually come. I am just trying to enjoy the here and now and not project myself too far in the future .  Live for the moment.




By the way, I am on Instagram as lesli13 – I post equally exciting photos as these! ;-)

Happy January!

2 comments:

Noodles said...

It has been a long time but so worth it. I love the run down of your activities. We have the opposite problem in Cali - no rain and warm temps. The trees are all freaked out and blooming while the creeks are drying up. It will be bad bad bad if cold weather hits when it usually does, Feb and Mar. It will do serious damage to the early crops.
Nice to see a pic of "The Other" Noodles the Pug in Blogville, too.
Love Noodles

Lesli said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog & not forgetting about us!